The Real West Virginia

Just last week, a chemical spill occurred in the southern part of West Virginia. The spill leaked into the Elk river, which in turn polluted the drinking water for 300,000 residents. This disaster has led to a great deal of media exposure for a state that usually flies under the radar. With that newfound media exposure came many jokes focused on West Virginia’s way of life.

Here’s an example:

Image

This was a tweet from a journalist at the Detroit Free Press (she’s from Detroit, so she really doesn’t have any room to talk. Also, shout out to B Rabbit.) She received many hateful and degrading responses to her tweet by many, and eventually took it down, but the issue resounds- people from around the country think West Virginia is a place where the only things happening are cousins having sex and cashing their welfare checks. I’m here to tell you this is not true.

Before I begin, I’d like to present a disclaimer: I am not a fan of the individuals who constantly beat the drum of “Our state is the best state, you’re just jealous!” Being completely honest here, West Virginia isn’t exactly the most ideal place to live. You can’t walk more than ten feet without having to scale a hill. In the winter, the snow can be relentless. The only professional sports teams are those on TV’s. There’s no beach. If you want to go to a decent shopping mall, you’ve probably got an hour-plus drive ahead of you. There is, indeed, an abnormal amount of large people. But these aren’t deal-breakers. Every state has its problems.  Last year, MTV began airing a show titled “Buckwild,” dubbed the “redneck version of the Jersey Shore,” and many people from around the country laughed at the state, believing this was an accurate depiction of what goes on. It was not. Many wrote in to MTV, the governor, and congress asking for the show to be discontinued because it seemed to shine a very poor light on our state. I personally have never witnessed anyone jump into a dump truck swimming pool. The show was a contributing factor to the many stereotypes of West Virginia.

West Virginia is a beautiful place. All four seasons make distinct appearances. The leaves in autumn are absolutely stunning, and the flowers in spring will make you do a double take. In the summer, the sun glimmers off of the lakes and rivers.

Image

Many celebrities have come from West Virginia. If you’re a football fan, you surely know that Florida State just won the national championship. The coach, Jimbo Fisher? He’s from Clarksburg. Nick Saban, at Alabama, who has won four national championships in his time? He’s from Monongah. The “Logo,” Jerry West, comes straight out tha’ Holler’ too. Stonewall Jackson, the bad ass general from the Civil War. Author Pearl S. Buck. Nick Null- a member of Seal Team 6, the team the performed the raid of Osama Bin Laden’s home. Mary Lou Retton, the olympic gymnast who in 1984 became the first American to win the All-Around Gold? All from West Virginia.

West Virginia provides over 12% of all coal production in the United States. Without us, oil and gas prices would be driven higher due to the lack of resources and the need for more imports. If it wasn’t for the West Virginia men going underground, the country would certainly be strained.

My father and mother both have good jobs. My sister and I both attend college. I’ve never thought about fornicating with a family member. I’ve never chewed tobacco or made moonshine. I have all my teeth. I’m friends with a black kid. I’ve never seen Crystal Meth.  Welfare checks don’t feed me. I wear the brands other states wear, listen to the Billboard Top 100, and I even have internet access. Take a step back and look at us, America- West Virginia isn’t just one big mud hole…it’s where I call home.

Advertisements

307 thoughts on “The Real West Virginia

1. Adrienne January 16, 2014 / 1:29 pm

I’m from Boone Co., that causes jokes to grow ten-fold over the whole being from WV thing. I have a huuuuuge southern WV accent that immediately leads people to think I’m just an uneducated hick. I have a magna cum laude B.A. in marketing and I earned it within 3 years! I have traveled not only this country, but the world thanks to jobs I’ve held down post-graduation! I have run into people with not only “jokes”, but those with genuine questions. At least, I feel they were genuine because I could tell they had a hard time phrasing the questions in ways that I guess they thought I wouldn’t find obnoxious or offensive, but I knew they were only curious. Of course, I’d answer them as factually as possible. Truth is, every place has stereotypes! Some are more… closer to the truth… some, couldn’t be further.

• Brelinda January 16, 2014 / 7:38 pm

I agree with you Adrienne. I am from Fayette county in West Virginia and have lived in many places and travelled alot. People usually don’t believe that I am from WVa until they hear about the food that I still love. My dad was a coal miner until he hurt his fingers, then moved to New York and built skyscrapers. Mom was a college grad from Birmingham, Ala where I was born. And everyone of their eleven children have been upstanding, hard working, good citiizens of this USA. Some moved back to West Virginia after they were tired of the big city life. As you said, every state has their stereotypes. I followed a job from Ohio to Pascagoula, Mississippi seven years ago and they have stereotypes. I have met wonderful people of all races wherever I’ve lived. There is good and bad in all and that applies to large and small cities. I had an alarm system when I lived in big cities and I have one in this small town.

I still close my eyes, throw my head back and bellow out John Denver’s ‘West Virginia mountain momma, take me home, country roads’. And, I can see those beautiful hills and mountains, the skies, the lakes/rivers and waterfalls. Oh boy, I’m talking myself into home sickness about now.

• Tahmay January 17, 2014 / 4:27 am

Luckily, being from Huntington, (now in FL) I don’t have too much of an accent. But I kind of feel bad for you Adrienne and anyone else from Boone County, because when people hear that I was born and raised in WV (happily I might add) they always bring up that gawd awful documentary “The Wild Wonderful Whites of West Virginia” and truly believe that’s how everyone is there?!?

2. T January 16, 2014 / 2:06 pm

Stonewall Jackson NEVER lived in WVa… let alone born/from there… He died in May 1863, West Virginia didnt become a state until June 1863 … so to say hes from WVa. is incorrect… he was born and raised a Virginian, not a West Virginian!

• J.P. January 16, 2014 / 4:43 pm

I have to admit, you need to get your history and geology straight. Stonewall Jackson was born in clarksburg (then Virginia),West Virginia. What is amazing is that you believing changing a states name, changes the topographic area and effects the heritage of the people that was born there prior.

• Jeremy Gill January 17, 2014 / 1:30 am

Well, considering he fought for the Confederacy and WV was formed primarily because it didn’t want to be part of the Confederacy, I’d say Mr. Jackson had considerably more in common with Virginian culture than West Virginian culture.

• Cyn January 17, 2014 / 10:15 pm

it does change the sterotype! Virginia has always been a state with respect. West Virginia has had little respect given to her people and her lands!

• Kay January 16, 2014 / 4:53 pm

Okay T, you smart ass. He was born in Clarksburg, Virginia, which is geographically where WV is today. He was raised around the same group of people that would become West Virginians.

• T January 16, 2014 / 8:09 pm

I don’t believe I am the smart ass, you with your rant would be the one considered an ass & an uneducated ass! See Anne McClure’s comment below. This also applies to Nancy Hanks, Abe Lincoln’s Mom….go a little research before you run your pie hole.

• TLL January 16, 2014 / 8:12 pm

By the way people, I am NOT the T who spouted out her Pie Hole about Stonewall Jackson not being born in WV since it wasn’t a state yet. Need to change my name since I don’t want to be associated with an
        ignoramus who can’t do proper research!

• Anne McClure January 16, 2014 / 5:41 pm

You obviously know nothing about history or you would know that anything that happened in the western part of Virginia, before WV was made a state by Abraham Lincoln in 1863, is known as happening in West Virginia. This includes the Battle Of Point Pleasant, history of Daniel Boone while living in WV, Revolutionary battles, etc. You are in essence, telling us we have no history before 1863.

• TLL January 16, 2014 / 8:17 pm

Finally, someone who KNOWS how to do her research!!! 🙂 You Rock Anne McClure!! 🙂

• Brandy January 16, 2014 / 6:17 pm

And his monument is in the eastern panhandle of the state. Significant enough to mention, but maybe not completely accurate. He did fight along side many what would be WEST VIRGINIANS once our state was formed.

• David Tayman January 16, 2014 / 7:08 pm

Haha, T. I was born a Virginian, and live in WV. I love that you pointed that out 🙂

• T January 16, 2014 / 7:33 pm

Well, let’s just get a little nasty about it. Geez, one mistake & you go off the deep end!

• JIM January 20, 2014 / 6:05 pm

West Virginia is the THE BEST VIRGINIA

• russell January 16, 2014 / 9:05 pm

He was from the better part of Virginia!!! The part that became WV!!

• Carol coburn January 17, 2014 / 8:21 pm

Pointing out that wv is the better part of Virginia only supports the close minded ignorant people who like to trash on states? Why would you put yourself on that level. Everyone loves or at least likes the state they were born or life in. That’s why they are still there. That’s the way you are raised or at least should be. I’m in wv and I love it here. Yes in the winter I complain about the cold and snow but it’s also beautiful and it is my home! Every state has their own ghosts in their closets and that’s that!

• T January 17, 2014 / 12:05 am

Clarksburg, Virginia (now West Virginia) That would have been what?

• ellie January 17, 2014 / 3:39 am

Don’t talk about what your don’t know sweetie.

• Erma January 17, 2014 / 9:46 pm

I don’t know why all of you are picking apart a part of history that is that long ago. I would imagine that information would be null as to the image and progress made in WV the last 20 years. I’m from WV and lived in a coal mining community in Fayette County, Went to Mt. Hope HS and integrated into a black high school my sophomore year. We all got along, played in the band, Football and basketball team was integrated. I now live in Louisiana and prejudice is all over the place. They have crimes WV does not; they have murders every week in NO. Where I live, there are prejudice all over the place. It’s where the CEO’s, CFO’s, and business owners in NO live … So …. all states have their crosses to bear. I miss WV and the people who are friendly and nice and welcome all who go there. So …. get a grip with reality and focus on the good things and understand all states have their deficiencies. I think your an others comments are in another century and no other comments need to be made.

• Ily Michael January 21, 2014 / 9:16 am

NAME: Stonewall Jackson
      OCCUPATION: Educator, General
      BIRTH DATE: January 21, 1824
      DEATH DATE: May 10, 1863
      EDUCATION: U.S. Military Academy at West Point
      PLACE OF BIRTH: Clarksburg (then Virginia), West Virginia
      PLACE OF DEATH: Guinea Station, Virginia
      Full Name: Thomas Jonathan Jackson
      AKA: Thomas Jackson

• Shawn Pennington January 21, 2014 / 8:39 pm

T, to let you know that WV wasn’t rattified until June 20, 1863 but succeded from the union and considered ourselves a soverign state in 1861. Here is a link that you can read about it: http://www.archives.gov/legislative/features/west-virginia/

Also, look in wikipedia for stonewall jackson as well. His family and he was all from Moorefield, WV (then Va.). He might have passed away in Va but anyone who is anyone knows that when your from WV, we are always Mountaineers.

For a side reference, Don Knotts, that’s right, Barney Fife, was also from WV. Also, Steve Harvey, Brad Paisley, and KC Royals Baseball star George Brett.

• Barb March 19, 2014 / 4:56 pm

T, thought maybe you should know, since you were “so sweet” with your remark about Jackson NEVER being from WV, that Stonewall Jackson was born January 21, 1824
      in Clarksburg, Virginia (now West Virginia). So, TONS OF people, including educators, have said that he lived in CLARKSBURG, WEST VIRGINIA. Don’t think you should really be so quick to jump on something so simple. Being raised in Virginia isn’t so grand, I’m sure. Have a great day!

3. ctoddmartin January 16, 2014 / 2:17 pm

Yes, the dumbest person in the world John T. Chambers is from WV. He graduated from WVU with a law degree. He runs a small company ($12.1 Billion Quarterly Revenue) called CISCO as the President and CEO. http://newsroom.cisco.com/john-chambers?articleId=33185

It only employs 65,500 employees in 92 countries and over 372 locations.
    And the most technical employees average a measly $150,000 per year.

4. Debbie Trego Heckman January 16, 2014 / 2:40 pm

I love “MY TOWN in WV!”. Thanks for posting! Nice article, and I am all for keeping this place a nice, sweet, little “secret” from the rest of the country! I like the open space, wild forests, beautiful rivers, and we don’t need a house on top of a house on every little spec of land here.

• Brelinda January 16, 2014 / 7:44 pm

I’m with you Debbie. In two years, I will be retiring back to WVa. Will sit on my front or back porch of either of the four houses that are still in the family. Or, have a new one built. I love the open space and quiet. The first night that I am ‘home’, I can’t sleep because of the quiet. It kicks by the second night and I let the quiet take me out for a peaceful sleep. It has become harder and harder to leave when I visit.

5. maryt January 16, 2014 / 2:53 pm

I’d like to add that NO my parents weren’t “so proud of me” because I went to college and left the great state (or as some folks say “got out of there”). Both my parents had college degrees. My parents were proud of me because the values they worked so hard to instill “took” and I live my life on the shoulders of those hard working, honorable people. RIP Jack and Midge Thompson

6. TD January 16, 2014 / 3:10 pm

I lived in WV for 3 years and loved every second. I met the most amazing, interesting and caring folks there. When I moved, I knew I would never again live in a more beautiful place.
    However, every state has its stereotypes- I feel certain, for example, that most residents of New Jersey do not feel that the cast of Jersey Shore represent them. I live in South Carolina now and I can assure you that we do not live like the folks at Myrtle Manor.
    The issue is not so much that networks, newspapers, etc promote the stereotypes, but that our nation is filled with people who are willing to be on TV and portray our communities this way- and that we as citizens encourage it by watching the shows and buying the merchandise. All of the blogging, facebook ranting, petitioning and calling our legislators does not work nearly as well as speaking with our dollars. Because at the end of the day- it’s all about the money anyway.

7. Paula Beckman January 16, 2014 / 3:23 pm

My daddy is from West Virginia and I’ve been lucky to visit a couple of times. It is beautiful down there. I always say I’m half hillbilly. My advice is to take what others say with a grain of salt and then make up things to say when someone makes a moronic statement. I was born, raised, and still live in Iowa. We get plenty of grief here too. I spent about 6 months in Connecticut and they obviously had no clue what Iowa is like. I told them we closed down I-80 for cattle drives and we loved corn schnapps and even had indoor plumbing and electricity. And not everyone from Iowa is a farm girl/boy. So have fun with the idiots who have no idea what they’re talking about!

8. Tony Woodrum January 16, 2014 / 3:26 pm

Hey gang!….dont tell folks about our “real” WV….they’ll all want too come!.

9. Michelle Means January 16, 2014 / 4:04 pm

My dad’s first cousin, Conchatta Ferrell, also known as Bertie on Two and a Half men, was born and raised in Loudendale, which is just outside the city limits of Charleston, WV. She currently lives in Hollywood, CA. Conchatta and her husband Arnie just built a beautiful log home in Loudendale on the property that she was born and raised on. We are all so proud of her and all of her accomplishments.

• Anne McClure January 16, 2014 / 5:45 pm

I remember when she went to Charleston High School……a few years ago!

• TLL January 16, 2014 / 8:21 pm

I completely forgot about her!! Thank you for pointing that out! Also there are famous people who CHOSE to move to WV because of the beauty of the state and the gracious, friendly people who know nothing but how to help our own & others in need!

• dalton January 16, 2014 / 10:49 pm

Has everyone forgot about the NFL superstar Randy Moss born in Rand WV

10. Russ January 16, 2014 / 4:10 pm

John Denver, (RIP) had it right. I’m from Ohio, but, Take Me Home Country Roads.

11. Karren Graham January 16, 2014 / 4:13 pm

I’m from Ontario, Canada (which sounds allot like WV) and traveled to your state when I was three years old with my family (have pictures but do not really remember all the trip!) Visited a family from Clarksburg that my Dad had befriended while guiding on a fishing trip they made to Ontario during many summers.They stayed friends for years and we always heard from them during those times. Now I will make it a priority to visit again and enjoy your beautiful state!!

12. Autumn January 16, 2014 / 4:16 pm

I have been all over the United States. West Virginia is an alright place to live if you spend most your time in the country side and Morgantown

13. Steve January 16, 2014 / 4:36 pm

I lived in West Virginia my entire life until my freshman year of high school (Huntington area), and moving was the greatest decision of my life to get out of that hell hole. So many redneck idiots and white trash people made it almost unbearable to live there. And no, people don’t jump into dump truck swimming pools, but West Virginians are that stupid and uneducated. Sorry if I offend anyone but the outside world is so much better than West Virginia.

• Kay January 16, 2014 / 4:56 pm

You’re making a generalization. I highly doubt you were the smartest person in the state.

• Jenette perry January 16, 2014 / 5:13 pm

I’ve lived in West Virginia my entire life and would like to point out that we’re not stupid or uneducated! I graduated high school and attended college. I live in McDowell county yes we have our retards here but not everyone is! I wouldn’t want to raise my kids anywhere but here. And to set things straight we don’t go screwing our cousins. I mean every state isn’t perfect they all have there bad people and good people. It sucks having to drive so far to go shopping but that’s my mommy time so it doesn’t bother me none lol. When it snows here yes we can’t go no where because they don’t take care of our roads like they do in cities but have you ever seen how beautiful it is when it snows in West Virginia. Absolutly beautiful.

• ELK January 18, 2014 / 5:07 am

Jenette, I live in Iaeger until I was 3, my mom and I lived beside of my grandparents and they decided that no jobs being remotely close that we would move, we then moved to NC. I’m now 24 and when I was younger I always said I would never live in McDowell county, it wasn’t until I got old that I realized the only reason why I wouldn’t live there (in my teenager mind) was because of no cell phone service in most of the areas, and now at the age of 24 my favorite place to visit is Iaeger ,WV. I have family that still lives there and I visit at least 2 times and year and my favorite part of it is no cell service and knowing that is part of my heritage. I’m proud to say I’m from WV. It is a beautiful state that isn’t well taken care of. I get sick to my stomach when I drive through the previously flooded towns that haven’t been cleaned up and just don’t understand why the people in those small towns don’t clean it up, which is one reason why people look down on WV. I wish I had the money to clean it up so that people from outside would see the beauty that others see the state as. Just a fun little story, my step dads uncle use to give my mom and I hell about being from WV and the whole incest thing even as I was a young age, I never said anything because I respected my elders, but as I because a mouthy teen he would say stuff to me and it would piss me off and finally I made him realize that no one in my family was married to a family member that was from WV, but he who was born and raised in VA (we later moved across the state line into VA) was in fact married to his 2nd cousin, and actually reproduced HAHAHA! He never said and still has not said anything else about me or my mother being from WV.

• Kimberly January 19, 2014 / 8:28 am

I live in one of those run down little towns and I’ll explain why they are not being cleaned up. Most of the people in those towns are poor. They can’t afford to do the cleanup and our government is too worried about preventing floods from happening again. In the areas where floods are common, it’s hard for the community to constantly clean up the messes. I’m talking a flood every year. I live near Logan West Virginia and it does flood here at least once a year. Our government is now working on flood control but until these areas are completely flood proof, there’s nothing we, as citizens, can do. Some of us have money and others do not, but there’s no point in sinking every dime we have into a pointless cause until we can get the flooding under control. I thought I would explain why these areas are so neglected.

• kim January 16, 2014 / 5:38 pm

You Sir, are the ignorant one.

• Anne McClure January 16, 2014 / 5:49 pm

Sorry you were in a “Hell Hole” but most of WV doesn’t fit that description. I won’t tell you how great this state is, but would love to invite you to come back and enjoy the people and the beauty of the state. Just wondering where you are living now.

• John January 16, 2014 / 6:07 pm

Thanks Steve for your opinion. You should come back for a visit and see how much nicer West Virginia is now that you and other ignorant folks have moved away!

• Diana January 16, 2014 / 6:37 pm

Opinions are like assholes and i can bet ur an asshole and idiot urself!!! Im a redneck from wv and proud of it and im no idiot or uneducated or white trash!! Just cuz u have seen a few doesnt mean the hole state is that way and i bet ur life isnt any better since u moved and Someday u will come back home!!! Have a good day and make sure theres no idiots around u or white trash or rednecks or therefor makes ur statement show how stupid you truly are!!!!

• TLL January 16, 2014 / 8:23 pm

With that attitude, thank you for leaving.

• danny January 17, 2014 / 12:24 am

Steve you sound like that kid in school that got picked on & never had any friends! Then moved away reinvented yourself & made one! Good for you buddy!

• barb January 17, 2014 / 12:46 am

I agree I moved here 2years ago and I feel like I’m in hell we are a military family and have olives in many States 13 moves by far this is the worse place to live the people here are rude stupid and uneducated I have had more personal items stolen from me during our last move I feel like people here are so sheltered from the real world they don’t know how stupid they really are Plus there’s so many drug addicts aroundhere the health care sucks. I could go on forger but I really could care less. to go on talking about WV

• jon doe January 17, 2014 / 8:38 pm

Did you not now WV is the first State that is called on if we go to war??? THANK YOU

• Paula Beckman January 17, 2014 / 9:35 pm

You’re not exactly coming across as a rocket scientist. Or even particularly educated. Thank you for not “going on forger” about how terrible WV is – your writing ability is so poor that my head was starting to hurt attempting to translate your rant into proper English.

• BrandysMom January 17, 2014 / 12:55 am

I was born in Ohio but I was raised here in WV I have lived in NY PA and visited many other states yet I always find my way back home to WV. The negativity that some people have shows the ignorance all to well. WV is a wonderful state to live in. We do fly under the radar because we like it that way. Simple and Peaceful!!!

• Patricia Tighe January 17, 2014 / 2:13 am

I’m happy that you left Steve WV is probably a better place without you, I was not born in WV but chose to live here one of the wisest choices I ever made you couldn’t ask for kinder more generous people always willing to help others and not judging others as you seem to do.

• Tony January 17, 2014 / 6:05 am

Thanks for leaving and raising the collective IQ of the state.

• Carol coburn January 17, 2014 / 8:24 pm

Sometimes it’s the person and not the place…just sayin

• Barb January 17, 2014 / 9:10 pm

Have never lived in Huntington – was born in Charleston and reared ‘upriver’ near Belle. Was an idyllic spot to grow up and go to school. Only left when a work transfer forced a move.

• Perry Wiley January 18, 2014 / 5:01 pm

I would say WV is better now that you are no longer there. Sorry for the state that got you Steve.

• Kimberly January 19, 2014 / 8:42 am

You cannot make that many small-minded remarks about us and then apologize! Yes, you have offended us and no we’re not all uneducated idiots. I am a highly educated individual and I am, by no means, white trash. There are uneducated idiots in every part of this country! Why is it that everyone feels the need to focus on West Virginia when there is so much more violence, drug abuse, disease, and poverty in many many more parts of this country! I don’t understand how anyone could judge me by where I come from. Yes, I am from West Virginia, born and raised, but that does not give anyone the right to assume I’m an idiot, or that I’m uneducated, or that I am the product of interbreeding in my family line! Being from West Virginia does define who I am though. I am tough as nails and as tender as a feather. I am as viscous as a snake and as sweet as a kitten. I like to get dirty on my four wheeler and go home and take a nice long hot bubble bath. I am country and I’m proud of that. I have a thick accent and a prominent vocabulary. I am country sir, but I am somewhat of an intellect and you and your small little words, cannot take that from me. You sir, are the idiot.

• DARLENE SUMMERS January 20, 2014 / 5:09 am

Very well said Kimberly! I work for WVU Hospital and I have been told numerous times that people have visited other states for care and were treated the best and respected the most when coming to WVUH. I take pride in the fact that I was born and continue to live in WV. I have been to many other states. Yes, there are beautiful places all over this country. But, when on vacation, I always get a heartwarming feeling when I cross that state line and know that I’m almost home.
        God Bless WV and those who live here and visit. Like out sign says West Virginia ~ Wild and WONDERFUL!

• Ily Michael January 21, 2014 / 9:09 am

It is not all of West Virginia’s fault that you chose to surround yourself with idiots. There are also intelligent, educated people here and some ignorant people everywhere, you make that point yourself quite well.

• Bridgett January 22, 2014 / 3:04 pm

I won’t sit here and tell you that you shouldn’t say what you feel. As for me, West Virginians are not stupid and uneducated. I graduated High School, attended college, and I am working as an Insurance Agent at the age of 25. I live in Grantsville. A very small town about an hour drive from Parkersburg. I am making money that people here would work away from home to make. Yes, we do have idiots, and white trash, but what state doesn’t. Even West Virginians have sterotypes of other states. Most of my husbands family lives in Ohio, but are from here. They make fun of my accent, but they also tell me if they could make the money here like they do in Ohio, they would move in a heart beat. So you can say what you feel, a lot of people see this beautiful state as a hell hole. You can not say we are stupid and uneducated, because you haven’t met everyone in West Virginia to say that.

• Iuka Slim January 25, 2014 / 1:09 pm

West Virginia, whatever its faults, is not “outside the world”.

14. G Fletcher January 16, 2014 / 4:40 pm

as for the twits tweet from Detroit, she need to check the Health and Human services records, WV is #20 in reported cases, Michigan is #7

15. Cherry January 16, 2014 / 5:01 pm

I leave in West Virginia. I moved here when I got Married over 40 years ago. But all my family has always leaved in West Virginia. (My mothers side) When I was younger I was so happy when my mother would say girls were going to see your grandma. I knew that ment we’re going to west Virginia. Know that I’m older almost 60 I leave on a ridge where I might see 6 cars a day and over an hour to the nearest big city I still love it and I’ve raised 3 children here. It’s like they say I live here because of the beauty and quitness of the county. When you look at the mountians, rivers,streams,and the wild life and how tall the trees get here ,you just have to wonder just how wonderful God really is. I have deer, trukey and black bear that I’ve seen on my property. Who else could of made something so beautiful but God. When I look at the mountians, I say to God did you have all this in your mind when you created this world. When you look at those pictures of the mountians and rivers you have to wonder did God make this for himself and just aloud use here. Maybe it is like they say, and it is really Gods country. Put I know one thing for sure people are whats tearing up this country and made it what it is, NOT GOD. I love West Virginia and will not move till the Lord is ready to take me home. Even tho it can be bitterly cold here in the winter I still love it. I have seen a lot of this country and over sea and there is no place like West Virginia. I have seen lots of other places that is just as beautiful but none as beautiful as West Virginia. So let people say what they want they don’t know what they are missing or how beautiful it really is here.West Virginia you will always be my home. I love you

• Stacy F January 17, 2014 / 6:11 am

It’s called spell check….please use it!

16. Sherry Washington January 16, 2014 / 5:05 pm

West Virginia, in my blood ,what beauty in the hills , take me home someday!

17. bonnie January 16, 2014 / 5:31 pm

im from wv, and I hate constantly hearing about the trash talk of wv when I tell someone that’s where I am from. to me wv is a very pretty state no matter what city you go to. there is no ugly city in wv. you can choose a city that has lots of businesses and shopping centers, or you can choose a city that has some place to take a nice walk, go to the park. its pretty wherever you are. it is sad though that there are some people in wv that are trashy welfare bums, but wv is not the only state that has that. that is everywhere. and way back in the old days, there was people that slept with their brothers and sisters. but that doesn’t happen now and I bet that happened in other states also no matter what anyone says.

18. Leonard Smith January 16, 2014 / 6:03 pm

I grew up in southern w.v. (fayette county) to be exact. I have lived in the chicagoland area for the past 22 years. Who gives a fuck what the outside world thinks… if u never been there dont judge.. there are shithole areas everywhere…

19. Johnny January 16, 2014 / 6:25 pm

I lived my first 18 years on this earth in a little town Clothier WVa, Moved to Chicago for fours years, joined the Navy and did 20 years and retired. Now leave in Pa working for the Navy. I have been to almost every state in this great county and have traveled around the world. When I go home i get chill bumps going across the state line cause there is no place like home. I love West Virginia and I am proud to be from West Virginia.

20. Diana January 16, 2014 / 6:30 pm

WV is a wonderful state to live in and there stupid people all over the world and trust me wv isnt the only state to have them!! Im born and raised here my hole life and wouldnt change it for anything in the world!! Everyone has an opinion there like assholes but thats doesnt mean ur right by any means!!! Dont worry bout what people say bout wv cuz its all over the world they just like to put us down but really they arent any better than any of us are!!! Theres white trash everywhere u go not just wv so u people that say that about us in wv better look in the mirror before u just put wv down!!! WV is wonderful and beautiful and u couldnt ask for a better place called home!!!! I LOVE WV AND ALWAYS WILL!!!!

21. sandra day January 16, 2014 / 6:43 pm

I was born in WV. At 8 my mother moved around alote to different states. I always missed my home state. Even though I wasnt totally raised here in this wonderful state. I love it here. There is no incest and there are some of the nicest people I have ever been around. The people in WV know how to survive a disaster. I think this proved it. These are strong people and full of love for others and good moral values. The seasons are so pretty and always changing. I love it here and it will always be my home. I can not even exspress how beautiful
    the state of West Virginia is. Ive been here for 20 years and I will be here till I die. I still get home sick when I am away from here.

22. Jennifer Dinkelo January 16, 2014 / 7:16 pm

Excellent article. I am a NY native, lived in Florida and CHOSE to move my family to WV. Let them think we are horrible… or it is a horrible place…. the more ignorance that stays out of this amazing state, the better we will be.

• carol January 17, 2014 / 5:34 pm

i am born and raised in wv. we have all kinds of people like any other state. some people love it, some dont but whats it matter, as long as you are happy and proud to live here, thats all that matters. i can walk any where without fear. i dont have to lock my doors and be scared of my neighbors. when something bad happens its a community problem, everyone prays and helps each other out. i am sure there is people who fit the stero types, but for the most part not many do. our news is the same three times a day, the local newspaper is four pages long, and nothing to exciting happens here very often. most of us love it this way and dont care if others dont. we are happy and dont want negative people here anyway. your opinion is your right, but make sure its based on fact, not ignorance, flags still fly in our yards and towns, we respect our veterans and military. all i ask is to hate for the right reasons.

23. T January 16, 2014 / 7:49 pm

Lest we forget:
    Randy Barnes, he won silver at the 1988 Olympics and gold at the 1996. George Brett, he played his entire 21-year baseball career playing for the Kansas City Royals.
    Nick Swisher, pro baseball player.
    Joyce Dewitt of Three’s Company.
    Jennifer Garner
    Steve Harvey
    Don Knotts
    Peter Marshall, host of Hollywood Squares for those who recall that show. Kathy Matea
    Brad Paisley
    Johnny Paycheck
    Booker T. Washington
    Chuck Yeager, first pilot to travel faster than sound.
    TD Jakes
    Nancy Hanks – mother of Abe Lincoln. Born: February 5, 1784, Hampshire County, WV – considered WV even though it wasn’t a state yet. Her son is who in December 31, 1862, approved by President Abraham Lincoln the seceding of West Virginia, on the condition that a provision for the gradual abolition of slavery be inserted in its constitution.
    Devil ‘Anse’ Hatfield
    Pat White, Miami Dolphins
    Tavon Austin, St Louis Rams. To name a few!

• TLL January 16, 2014 / 8:15 pm

And to clarify, this the TLL not the T above who likes to run her pie hole w/o doing proper research!

• charlene January 17, 2014 / 2:49 am

ummmm jennifer garner is from houston texas

• JWF January 17, 2014 / 12:33 pm

Jennifer Garner is from Charleston WV. and She graduated from George Washington High School in the South Hills section of town. Her father was a highly respected Chemist for Union Carbide (Dow Chemical). She still makes it back to WV for visits.

• charlene January 17, 2014 / 11:36 pm

ok if jennifer garner is from wv then why does it say she is from houston?

• patti January 17, 2014 / 3:24 pm

No Jennifer Garner was born and raised in Charleston, WV. She married Ben Affleck in WV. Her best friend is from WV. She attended GW High School in WV. Didn’t you see her biography on television? Her picture is on a brochure at a WV privately owned jewelry store. She is West Virginian through and through and proud of it. Her parents still live here.

• charlene January 17, 2014 / 11:38 pm

ok just cause everything she did was in wv just doesnt made her from wv….she was born in houston

• charlene January 17, 2014 / 2:53 am

nick swisher is from columbus ohio, johnny paycheck is from greenfield ohio, pat white is from daphne alabama and tavon austin is from baltimore maryland

• Sher January 17, 2014 / 2:04 pm

Nick Swisher is from Parkersburg, WV, Charlene! I should know he graduated from Parkersburg High School! Duh! Get it right please

• charlene January 17, 2014 / 11:40 pm

just cause someone graduates in a different state from which they were born doesnt make them from that state DUH!!!!

• Sher January 18, 2014 / 1:35 am

Charlene, you are not worth my time. I have no time to spend arguing with a person that reads a post then immediately googles for the answer so they can pretend they know what they are talking about. Duh! You should be happy that you are NOT from WV because someone would have given you a “what for” long before this post. Have a nice day….or not.

• charlene January 18, 2014 / 5:09 am

ok like i have said before i am not being rude so just shows how low on the totem pole you are…

• Sher January 17, 2014 / 2:09 pm

Charlene, where are you getting your misinformation? So far, you are batting zero!

• charlene January 17, 2014 / 11:39 pm

ummm you dont have to be rude but when you google on the web it tells you where people were born

• Sher January 18, 2014 / 1:21 am

I don’t care where you’re getting your info Charlene…you are wrong on both Jennifer Gardner and Nick Swisher. Wish I had all the time in the world to surf the web to find out where celebrities were born/from/etc! I’m proud to be from WV..oh, and, BTW, I have a college education, wear shoes, speak clearly and work. No time to web surf, but when a West Virginian knows the correct answer on an issue, we don’t back down. You are fighting a losing battle.

• patti January 17, 2014 / 3:28 pm

Pat White played football in WV as did Tavon Austin, Geno Smith and Bruce Irvin, all professional players. They are not from here, but they represented WV by playing for the Mountaineers.

• Dora May 12, 2015 / 11:39 pm

Did anyone mention Michael w Smith is from Kenova, WV

24. Jodie January 16, 2014 / 8:31 pm

This whole country is full of idiots, but for some reason WV gets the brunt of it. I’ve lived in WV all my life. Well, I tried being a floridiot, but I got home sick. I love this state! Except in the winter. It’s beautiful here. I met the late and great Leslie Nielsen and he loved it here. He visited here quite often. So did Nick Nolte. There are so many awesome people from WV. Which without some of them our country wouldn’t be where it is today. But it is what it is. My main man Steve Harvey is from here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX8fkfp8NkY If you can watch this youtube video. it’s hilarious!

• Vickie Martisko January 17, 2014 / 1:36 am

Also when its time to protect our country Guess who are the first to go. WEST VIRGINIANS!!! Check and see how many WEST VIRGINIANS Gave their lives to protect this country I was born an raised in West Virginia Been other places, but couldn’t stay away long. every state I was in as soon as I told them I was from West Virginia made fun of me. Evenhad the nerve to ask me if my kids were from incest. Lets just say they never said it again. When I was in a bar in San Antonio Texas the owner of the bar found out we were from West Virginia she played a song called Disco Duck for us.Lets just say she didn’t play it again. We got along with everyone where ever we went until we would tell them where we were from.Here’s something I wrote. I’m from the mountains of West Virginia.I have lived here all my life.cut me down say what you want. Call me a hilbiliiy call me me an incest child I don’t care.But one thing you can’t change is I’m a part of this country the same as you..When our country is in trouble we are by your side. When we go to war someone from West Virginia May save your life.I always thought we were called the United States not the divided States of America.Its so weird that people that live in the same country can be so against each other because of the state your from.When we go to war are we fighting for the state we come from or are we fighting for our United States?I’m confused.I guess that’s because i’m from West Virginia.

25. Dora January 16, 2014 / 8:42 pm

My grandfather was in the army my mother and her siblings where born all over this country. They moved all over from California to Alaska, Kentucky to Ohio. And many others states. When they stopped moving and settled down they did so on a 93 acer farm in Milton west Virginia. They could not have been happier and that farm is where I spent the majority of my summer’s and weekends in my youth. I learned many things from helping gathering eggs and climbing up the hillside. I didn’t set around playing video games and watching TV being trapped in city limits unable to go out of door due to danger. As a mother now myself I feel comfortable letting my children play in our backyard. Not all of course, but I would say the majority of west Virginia born and raised people are some of the most happy helpful around. We step up and help out our neighbours. We are friendly to new comers. We are happy with what God has given us. We don’t sleep with relatives. And we do wear shoes. The mountains are beautiful to look at, but a pain to drive around if you are in a hurry. Those same mountains also shield us from a lot of disaster. In West Virginia it is not only the beauty of the environment, but the caring communities that make it a wonderful please to raise children. I know not everyone is suited for this type of lifestyle. Some people choose big city with its over crowding, but that is their right just as it is my right to live in a more peaceful place. All I ask is at though you may not understand us and our way o f life you do not judge us and put us in a stereo type. And just to clear something up. Shane Gandee family (from buckwild) are very nice down to earth people. I see them almost every weekend at the Milton Flea market and I like them very much. They aren’t like what the show is portrayed as. And I watched that show. Things where inflated a little yes, but for the most part it was a bunch of teens hanging out and getting drunk. That is not so uncommon with any state in the US. I ask anyone from around 20 to 50 to think about your ownteen years. Where you a little wild? Did you know someone who was? Those are the years to be crazy instead of waiting til your 40 and completely freaking out with a midlife crisis.

26. nope January 16, 2014 / 9:32 pm

this is the dumbest thing ive read all day. are you even old enough to buy beer?

thats awesome that in your “real” west virginia both your parents have good jobs. in the other “real” west virginia a staggering 18% of people live in poverty. thats 2 points higher than national average. in the “real” west virginia, the median household income is 49th of 51 territories represented. the average worker in the “real” west virginia gets paid less to do the same job than workers in 42 other states. the “real” west virginian family total income is REALLY ranked 49th of 50, and the real household income is dead last, 51st of 51 represented.

super awesome for you and your sister to be going to college. i went to college in west virginia as well. unfortunately in the “real” west virginia, less than 18% of people actually earn their 4 year degree, and only 6% earn a secondary degree.

i agree that the heart of west virginia is in its people. but to ignore the challenges facing west virginians is exactly what has kept the numbers i reference above so low for so long. i love the heart of west virginia and i carry it around with me every day, but the world thats running around west virginia, and leaving its people behind while reaping the rewards of its natural benefits runs on money. heart hasnt gotten us anywhere but broke. which leads to disasters like this chemical spill that left my parents fleeing charleston for my sister’s in north carolina.

27. Jodie January 16, 2014 / 9:37 pm

I want to know who cares if Stonewall was born in Clarksburg, VA or Clarksburg, WV. It’s the same place! It may be historically or geographically wrong, but now it is Clarksburg, WEST Virginia .Oh and I’m not sure about other states, but when I was in school we had to learn ALL 50 states and their capitals. Apparently that doesn’t go for every state. It amazes me how many people don’t know that WV is a state! I was in FL once and a guy asked me where I was from. I said WV. And he asked is that where Myrtle Beach is? Come on people, really? Sooo I ask who’s the idiots? Also if you look at the shape of our state it looks like someone is flipping the bird. So there you go, WEST VIRGINIA is the middle finger of America!!! So to all of you who have a problem with us, we salute you!

• Brittany January 16, 2014 / 11:31 pm

What a great article! Born and raised in a small town here in West Virginia, and proud of it! People are quick to judge based on ignorance regarding our state, but it’s an amazing place to live; There are pros and cons to every state in this great country, as well as lazy and ignorant people, in every state, not only West Virginia. People preach about how we shouldn’t be prejudice towards others; their sexual preference or their race. Well, hello everyone, I think it’s time to quit playing the hypocrite and not assume you know about a states entire population and how they live because of what you might ‘think’ or something you’ve ‘heard’. Because unless you’re from here, you really don’t know, do you?

28. Mike January 16, 2014 / 9:40 pm

I was born in indy in 1952 and at age 8 went to Fl 1960 raised in Fl. Then left Fl in 1976 and went to Chicago got th fk out of there in 79 and have been in Wv ever since. when i go back to Fl to visit family after 3 day days of all the people running over each other and yelling out the car windows at one another I am so glad to get back to Wv I have put 2 wonderful girls threw collage here and have 6 wonderful and smart grand kids here. WV is HOME and home is where I’ll be put to rest when the time comes. If U want to bash WV come to my house and we’ll see who comes out on top

29. Kay P. January 16, 2014 / 10:12 pm

I too am a born and raised West Virginian…Wheeling Island to be exact. Been through many floods from the Ohio River, loved life in this beautiful State. My husband (from Ohio) still teases me after 40 some years that one leg is shorter than the other from walking on the hills. John Denver pointed out the beauty in his song about West Virginia. Though I haven’t lived there for over thirty years I still consider it home. Whenever I see the sign on the border line between Ohio and W.Va. that says “ALMOST HEAVEN-WEST VIRGINIA” when I travel home to visit I burst out in song…”take me home country roads.” They got that right!

30. kay January 16, 2014 / 10:35 pm

I have live in West Virginia for all 25 years of my life and it is the must beautiful place to live. As far as the show buckwild some of those things we do not really do but as far as hanging out with good friends in the holler where the cops cant find you that is true. And where i come from in Grant County we do alot of muddin and swimmin in the nearby creeks and rivers. We are good hearted people who go to church on Sunday and serve God. We hunt or grow alot of what we eat. There are alot of things found to eat here in WV that arent other places; like morral mushroom and ramps. And for moonshine it is the medicine you could ask for. We also are the best to legally dig ginseng which is use for many different things. We are educated and have more common sense about are natural resourses that alot of other places. Please people dont down WV til you’ve seen what greatness this state has to offer.

31. money velocity January 16, 2014 / 11:05 pm

This is all great..I had same issues in the air force and at various brokerage firms where I wor now..they (those from well off families and states etc thougjt I was done until the test scores came out..I love busting the stereotypes..so instead of everyone complaining what we should be asking, bwtter yet soing..is MAKING IT BETTER..if I havebknowledge skills and abilities u learned elsewhere move back..I’m moving back this summer mid career from a very nice place and is a major destination for maby of is hilljacks..people think I’m insane..especially people thete..people need to take pride n their home..bring heir experience and money back home…stop bitchin and start doing…also I forvgot john nash from bluefield to your list…peace.wv ex-pat…soon to change..

32. money velocity January 16, 2014 / 11:11 pm

This is all great..I had same issues in the air force and at various brokerage firms where I work now..they (those from well off families and states etc thought) I was dumb until the test scores came out..I love busting the stereotypes..so instead of everyone complaining what we should be asking, better yet doing..no more excuses..no more whining..you get one life..if it means enougj to you..make a postive difference somehow..dont be a thorn in the ass of society..is MAKING IT BETTER..if u have knowledge skills and abilities u learned elsewhere move back..I’m moving back this summer mid career from a very nice place and is a major destination for maby of is hilljacks..people think I’m insane..especially people thete..people need to take pride n their home..bring heir experience and money back home for those that left…stop bitchin and start doing…also you forgot john nash from bluefield to your list…peace.wv ex-pat…soon to change..

33. wv proud January 17, 2014 / 12:30 am

I am 17 year old high school senior from WV and as for being educated, i have been sent all over the country to for nysf (national youth science foundation) and many other programs. i scored a 35 on the act which is better then 97 percent of the country percentile who take the test my friends all also scoring above 30 which is still better then 90 percent of youth in the united states. So don’t dare trying calling us uneducated.

• Shawn January 17, 2014 / 3:07 am

First, let me congratulate you on scoring a 35 on the ACT, you will have a bright future ahead of you! I don’t mean this in a confrontational way, but check the usage of then vs. than. Also remember to always capitalize ‘I’. I am a teacher, and just want to help.

34. Tink January 17, 2014 / 12:42 am

I felt the same as everyone else until my daughter, son-in-law and grandkids moved to Bruceton Mills, WV. They have a beautiful home on a Mt and can see 3 states from their deck They said the people are friendlier and the kids love the school. They have every opportunity they would have had if they stayed in PA

35. Jeanie Corder January 17, 2014 / 3:53 am

We have a family farm on cow run and I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world ! My mom and her siblings were raised their and they are a close loving family still..The best times in our lives was going to w.va.We lived in ohio but our home was on cow run (near ripley).You couldn’t meet nicer people, they go out of their way to help you no matter what you need…It is a beautiful state and one im proud to be able to go home too. We can go to the farm anytime we want and we still have our family reunion there.The kids love it back in the hills and they learn about their heritage. You can’t put a price on some things, and one of them things is family and love.If you’ve never been to w.va dont bad mouth it see it for yourself..There’s a reason it’s called Wild Wonderful West Virginia, because it is !!
    Proud Lover of W.VA.
    Cossin Family

36. Steven Fox January 17, 2014 / 6:42 am

lol…and wow. God Bless WV. Born and raised here, Lived in NC for almost 21 years. Glad to be back. Love it..even living in the snow belt of Greenbrier County. Any haters have never experienced the “rat race” of big city life. So glad to be back even if the job pay isn’t in the “higher” tax brackets.

37. Cheryl Lynn Gibbs Bowen January 17, 2014 / 3:45 pm

Born and raised in WV, I love it here 🙂 I love everything about WV, so nothing to prove or to defend to others that have a different opinion of my state and the people that live here. If they don’t like WV, good! More for me! 🙂

38. Dreama Kelly January 18, 2014 / 3:34 am

West Virginia is a beautiful state with awesome natives who are strong enough to let the stupidity of outsiders roll off our backs. Reading these “jokes” making fun of a catastrophe within our state is hurtful but I have no doubt that karma will take care of anyone ignorant enough to seek a moment of “lame-fame” at our expense. West Virginian’s are too strong to bend to this level of ignorance – not too stupid to come up with a way of putting “you” in your place; we simply choose to smile in your unsuspecting face and mutter “bless your heart”, knowing that we are better for it! There are uneducated people in every state and there are stupid people in every state…interestingly enough, the two are not tied together, I know some very intelligent folks who have limited education and some highly educated people who are nothing more than stupid. Note the authors of these jokes and tag their names with an “I” for ignorant or “S” for stupid. Personally, I am West Virginian by birth but resident by choice!

39. Darcy Miller January 18, 2014 / 5:09 am

You never mentioned Don Knotts or Jodie Foster or several other movie stars from our state. I am from West Virginia and I agree that some of the jokes are in bad taste but sometimes they are only funny ’cause they’re true. I still remember and love ‘the Greaseman’ (dc101 radio) and he ragged WV hard. Even still, I am more embarrassed by the government dealings in the state than i am by ‘The Wonderful Whites’. Remember, TV is well written propaganda (aka make believe) but the crooks of our gov. affect us for real. Instead of worrying about what other states say or think, laugh with them and worry about some thing bigger, like childhood hunger maybe. Oh, and be thankful ‘Deliverance’ was filmed in Tennessee. ;D

• Iuka Slim January 25, 2014 / 1:06 pm

Jodie Foster? Does she live in WV now? I think she’s a California girl. You may be thinking of her Clarice Starling character in Silence of the Lambs. That character ‘s is supposed to have spent part of her childhood in WV and Foster’s accent in the film is meant to be a blended WV accent, as is Paul Newman’s accent in the film Cool Hand Luke. Also Russel Crowe’s work in A BEAUTIFUL MIND was another occasion where West Virginia became Oscar bait.

But exploitation films like WRONG TURN and mock-exploitation spoof TUCKER & DALE VS. EVIL, though taking cheap shots at WV, were both filmed entirely in Canada.

40. Angela Eddy Jones January 22, 2014 / 1:53 pm

Very well said, Dreama Kelly. I was born and raised in Ritchie Co. WV, college graduate and retired. I would not trade a single experience, growing up in a community where we didn’t lock our doors, the caliper of people that I was so blessed to have been graced with their presence…salt of the earth yet so wise in-deed. We all have our less fortunate in all walks of life wherever we go. I have lived in several states but none can compare to home…I own two properties in Florida and three in West Virginia, spend equal time in each state due to the fact, I have grandchildren in each state…love my grandkids and WV.

41. oxkristeeauhox January 22, 2014 / 5:23 pm

I am a proud West Virginian! 🙂 I love your post! Don’t forget that Jennifer Garner, Brad Paisley, Don Knotts, “Gilligan”, and John Corbett lived/from WV!
    We are not a stupid state that only hail idiots. Buckwild is SURE a POOR representation of WV!
    I’m an intelligent young woman, who doesn’t have incest in her family, and I have ALL OF MY TEETH (pretty, white, and straight!).

42. Corey January 28, 2014 / 9:56 pm

I am a true West Virginian I’ve lived here all twenty years of my life. I attend a small university where I study in criminal justice. I carry 18 hours a semester and make a 3.5 GPA. You can’t say all people are stupid that are from WV. I grew up where they filmed Buckwild and I have to say it was not a bad show! However I myself knew the cast since I was young child, and yes the script was dramatized. Overall though what’s wrong with having a little wild creative fun? When I graduate from the university I plan on perusing my career on the railroad. Which to work on the railroad you can’t be an uneducated idiot. I personally don’t care about what others think of me, and I have traveled to California twice, and I have to say the girls dig my country accent. :p Guys really though there is no place that is more wild and free then West Virginia. Take it from some one who has traveled all over the map. We’re the state they make songs about.

43. Steven February 17, 2014 / 3:06 am

I’m from west Virginia. The whole inbreeding deal is b.s. but I’ll be the first one to say it. This place blows. There’s nothing here, at all. If your trying to have a good time, this is not the place to come to. I’m in the process of getting the hell out of here now

• jolynnpowers March 19, 2014 / 5:41 pm

Steven sounds like a trip to big city is more your speed… but when you come back and you will !!! you will see that their is ” nothing their… at all either”.

44. jolynnpowers March 19, 2014 / 5:33 pm

Reblogged this on Mountain Mama and commented:
    some really great reasons to love and support West Virginia

45. jolynnpowers March 19, 2014 / 5:38 pm

Just re-blogged this on my my Mountain Mama blog… love West Virginia too and hate to see people putting her down…. we might be a wild bunch but no where will you find truer friends, better pepperoni rolls and comforting mountains… Thanks for your support and add your voice to our love of WV

46. Dan Antion March 19, 2014 / 6:57 pm

I grew up in Pittsburgh, attended WVU and will always have a soft spot in my heart for WV. It’s a beautiful state. After I graduated (1976), I worked for Burroughs Corp which was headquartered in Detroit. Our company policy REQUIRED that I take a cab from our office to the hotel that was no more than a 10 minute walk because they were afraid for our safety.

47. ken sylvester May 1, 2014 / 5:05 am

i love wv

48. Joseph Belvedere Bush June 22, 2014 / 2:48 pm

West Virginian’s are self conscious of their state and like to sweep the problems of their state under the rug. However, it does have its’ share of problems with lack of education, racism and a horrible economy. They are very xenophobic of outsiders and if you move here you will never be excepted into the community. This is mostly with the rural towns and hollows. The larger cities tend are used to new people, like students, other ethnic groups etc. West Virginia needs a lot of help and I’m not sure what the solution will be.

49. nicole July 19, 2014 / 10:20 pm

can anyone tell me how woodrum lake wildlife in wv got its name? my husbands great grandpa was cleve woodrum who faught in cabin creek. just wondering if the lake had anything to do with woodrum family.

50. Adam July 21, 2015 / 8:18 pm

I immensely dislike living here. The people hold on to this backwards mentality that progress is a bad thing, and that everyone hates West Virginia. The fact is, everyone LAUGHS at West Virginia. We’re stuck in the past, and this shows through a lack of economic growth. I love the beautiful landscape, but the people make it a terrible place to live. This is why I have chosen to save up so that I can move elsewhere, possibly to Pennsylvania or Ohio.